Friday, January 19, 2007

Long time no post...

So, I'm back from Guatemala. I have been for a while now, but I haven't really posted anything since forever. The trip was amazing. Guatemala is probably one of the most beautiful places I've been to, nature wise, but one of the poorest, also. I got to haul rocks one day to clear land for the new hospital, and another day I helped build an office with AJ, Kim, Jen, and Lewayne. This involved me using power tools, something that I've never really had much experience with, but it was fantastic! To quote AJ: "You girls learned how to screw real good." All I could think of was a quote from Arrested Development: "There's gotta be a better way to say that." The rest of the week I spent helping out at the new library/soup kitchen. I helped serve the elderly people lunch one day, which was sad/awesome. Sad because these people are really the lowest mark on the totem pole. They live in terrible poverty. The people at Victory Mission live like kings compared to those I spoke with. The gratitude and humility on their faces was enough to make me want to cry. At the library, I helped catalogue books in the computer and paint the reading center.

In the evenings, Bryant and I led worship and then we all just basically hung out. We spend New Year's Eve there and enjoyed an amazing BBQ. We also got to see tons of fireworks. The people at the Posada where we were staying tried to set some off as well, however we discovered they had a huge amount of inexperience and we ended up dodging/running/ducking out of the way when they shot back around towards us. Dave laughed the entire time...it was great. Near the end of the trip a good majority of got sick. Not too terribly bad, but just enough for some of us to throw up and throw down. I threw down many, many times and had to bust in on Kim and Crystal Coakley on separate occasions while they were showering so I could utilize the facilites. All I could say was, "Don't listen!" Mahoney got quite ill and her's lasted longer than most I think. She's all better now praise God.

After returning home, I spent a week in Dallas with my family. It was great seeing my bro, sis-in-law, and my little niece. I also got to see my Dad a couple of times. He's so cool. My niece is now walking around on her own two little legs, jabbering away as if what she's got to say is so very important, and giving lots of evil eyes. The evil eyes go away as quickly as they come and then she starts laughing...a true Hernandez. We were trying to teach her how to say "wanker," but my mom threw a fit. Geez...it's only a British swear, the folks here won't know. We got it out of her once. Good enough. Anyways, if you read all of that good for you. Have a great weekend. The forecast is calling for more inches of snow...yippee. The Crystal Village melts ever so slowly. I think today is the first blue sky we've seen in over a week. Later.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mooskers J. Featherbottom III said...

If you don't like it, you can just... geeeeeeeeeetoooooooooout

4:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home